An unseasonably cold start to June got me thinking – the seasons are kind of like a subscription with unpredictable shipping dates. But according to the calendar, the ship date is June 20, so summer is upon us.
This month’s subscription marketing update should include something that strikes your fancy:
- Thoughts on free trials
- Research on subscription boxes
- More entertaining subscription ideas – including ice cream!
- Other resources
I’m a terrible free trial customer – and I’m not alone
Have you ever noticed that when you are a customer, you behave one way, but when you create content for customers, you assume they’ll behave better?
The free trial is a case in point. I regularly sign up for things and then forget about them. I’ll bet you do, too. But when you put out a free trial, do you assume that everyone who signs up will start using it right away?
Read more on that topic in this post: Three Myths About the Free Trial.
More research into the subscription economy
Zuora has published its latest Subscription Economy Index – a look at what’s happening in the subscription sector of the economy. A few findings from the latest one:
- Subscription revenues grew 8 time faster than revenues of the S&P 500 companies.
- The average annual churn rate remains high – 26% for B2B businesses and 35% for B2C. Ouch.
My friends from the Subscription Summit shared some insights presented at the recent conference in Austin, about the subscription box industry. According to the audience insight firm Hitwise:
- The leading subscription box companies are on par with leading retailers in terms of online traffic.
- Subscription box companies rely more heavily on social media for finding customers than their traditional counterparts.
More fun subscription businesses
This just keeps getting easier. Here are a few, wildly divergent offerings for your summer:
- Ice cream! Perfect for summer – subscription ice cream from Goldbely. ‘Nuff said.
- Gear for summer adventures: If outdoor adventures are your think, check out The Nomadik – a subscription box filled with gear for your outdoor adventures. Avid campers might love this one.
- Stripper-wear. When the weather gets hot, you might want to strip. Stage Gurl has you covered (so to speak.) It is the subscription box for strippers. Kudos to the wonderful Robbie Baxter for pointing this one out.
Send me your weird and wonderful subscription boxes to share!
What the Subscription Economy Means for B2B Markers on CustomerThink – which mentions industrial subscriptions like GE jet engines and Caterpillar charging by earth moved.
You can catch the replay of the Mindtouch Webinar I did last month here on how to make your company customer obsessed.